martedì 13 novembre 2007

Thanksgiving for the first time...


"Batter d'occhio"

That's the way we say in Italian when something goes by very quickly. Or when time passes fast, that you don't even realize it.
This is how I feel about these last few months. I still have memories of our summer holidays, and everybody is now talking about Christmas. Time flies. And sometimes I would like it was slower, just to let me enjoy every occasion and every day longer.

Many things are on our schedule for the next few weeks before Christmas. But for the first time in our lives, I would like to add a new holiday and a new occasion to meet with friends at our place: THANKSGIVING.

Here in Italy it isn't a celebrative day. We aren't off work. Most of people neither know anything about this typical american holiday, which has always made me curious.
It happened that last spring, on a book stall downtown, I found a very interesting book about traditional food and recipes of the U.S.A., so I bought it. On this book there is a part about Thanksgiving, but I definetely need help to prepare a typical meal for the occasion.

So I make a plea to all our american blog readers: what do you suggest to cook for a perfect Thanksgiving dinner with friends? Do you have any recipes to advice? What do you usually do on that day?

Time goes by in a "batter d'occhio"...and the 22th is just 'round the corner!
Please, help! (^_^)

-Mario

3 commenti:

Casey ha detto...

How fun to read your blog Mario :) Thank you for your sweet comments on my new blog!

And you are going to celebrate Thanksgiving! It is one of my favorite holidays. If there was one dish I had to have on this day, it would be stuffing. It's such a comforting food, and you can make it in so many different ways. Here is a link to a ton of recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Get-Stuffed/Detail.aspx?lnkID=1847

Hope that gives you one idea! Also, one family tradition that we always have is that when we all sit down at the table, we go around and each say what we are most thankful for. It's fun :) Take care, and I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Jenny ha detto...

I love seeing you (mario & ely) and Casey connecting! How fun!

This year I am making Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage Sauce..but that almost sounds Italian, doesn't it? Last year I made Butternut Squash Risotto...wow, looks like I really do have some Italian heritage ;)

Good luck!

La Dolce Vita ha detto...

Thank you Jenny and Casey for advice! We have planned the Thanksgiving dinner for next Friday!
How fun! Can't wait to cook!! (^_^)

Jenny - I LOVE gnocchi! It's my favourite dish! Perfect choice for a perfect dinner! :)