martedì 15 gennaio 2008

My connection with Seattle...

Today I changed the wallpaper image of my computer desktop at the office...putting on an image of downtown Seattle...with the beautiful Space Needle right in the middle of the "scene"...


Despite the fact that I love modern and contemporary architecture and that Seattle skyline is one of my favourites, I must admit that I have a special connection with this city and, in general, with Washington State.

From left, Batista, Clemente and Silvio Boldrini.

In fact, the american northwest has been the place where my ancestors decided to settle after their incredible adventures started with the emigration from Italy (but at that time that was Austria, because it was before World War 1) in 1884 and followed by their great experiences when they were "stampeders" in the Klondike Gold Rush of 1897-98.
At that time it was my great-great grandfather Clemente and his brother Silvio who had the need and the courage to undertake a long and streanous trip, in order to give their families a better life. In fact when they decided to leave their families and endure the hardships of the Yokon, there was a worldwide financial depression called the "Panic of '93", which made jobs hard to find and gold was more valuable then than now. In 1898, one ounce of gold was worth $16. But $16 was typical pay for 80 hours of work.

Getting to the goldfields was difficult. Silvio and Clemente traveled by train from Solvay (near Syracuse, NY) to Vancouver, BC; traveled by ship, from Vancouver (Canada) to Skagway (Alaska). Each transported one ton of supplies by foot 40 miles over the White Pass trail to lake Bennett. Then navigated the Yukon River rapids 500 miles down-stream in their hand built boats. About 40,000 people set out on what has been called "the last grand adventure of the 19th century". Silvio and Clemente were among the exclusive 20% of those who set out , who actually reached the gold fields near Dawson and prospected. From Dawson they made their way by raft, dog sled and foot to the gold fields of Nome, Alaska, over 850 miles away.

Silvio and Clemente were more successful than most. Their hardships were rewarded with a modest fortune in gold. But Silvio's health was broken by his Yukon adventure. After Gold Rush, they settled in Seattle. Shortly thereafter Silvio bought a farm in central Washington near Soap Lake where he had been "taking the waters" for his health. In 1907 they brought their wives and children to Seattle from Creto (Italy now, Austria in 1907!). In 1909 Silvio and Clemente built their permanent homes at 8226 and 8202 Ashworth Ave. in Seattle.

Ely and I at the doorsteps of my great-great grandparents home in Seattle, Aug,2004.

My great grandmother Domenica, doughter of Clemente, after reaching her father in Seattle in 1907 at age 19, she returned to Creto in 1912 to marry her love Bortolo. She was the only one to come back to Italy. All the others remained in the U.S. and made their families there.

My great grandmother Domenica. Taken about 1898.

In few word, this is the story that connects me with Seattle and with all the relatives who still live there. I think that this story of our ancestors is an important heritage that shouldn't be forgotten.

Ely and I in Seattle, Aug, 2004.

5 commenti:

Jenny ha detto...

I want to hear more Mario! Unfortunately I do not know much about my ancestors on that side of the family. Do you happen to know which of the brothers is MY great great grandfather?

Also, Jeff and I just moved to Seattle and are only 3.4 miles from that very house! We'll have to go check it out. How exciting!

Thank you so much for sharing this and please do share more if you know it.

I believe the house my grandmother grew up in was once owned by the Boldrini's- my grandma's family rented from them and that's how she met my grandpa...I guess I'll have to ask uncle Clete for more info.

La Dolce Vita ha detto...

Your great-great grand father was Silvio. He's the third from left.

Next I will post the translation of the diary that your great-great grandfather Silvio wrote during his time in Alaska. It's an incredible story!!!
Have you ever read it?

Your uncle Clete made a great job in searching all the information about the origins of our families...he knows a lot about it and he brought me to see the house of my and yours great-great grandparents in Seattle.

valuzza ha detto...

Che bella la storia dei tuoi avi mariello!!
Soo interesting!!! :)
VaLe

Anonimo ha detto...

Mario, I came across you "My connection with Seattle" blog entry while researching Creto, Italy, the birth place of my paternal great grandmother. I've just started investigating the family genealogy. Aparently my great grand mother, born in 1867, used to say that she may be an In Italian citizen, but she was Austrian. The information in your blog helped me to understand her statement.

Additionally, my husband and I recently took an Alaskan cruise. We left out of Vancouver, and Skagway was one of our ports of call. We took a bus tour up the White Pass road, and our tour guide described many of the things you talk about in your blog. Although the Alaskan adventure has nothing to do with my family's history, it was interesting to discover it while researching my family history.

Sherry

Anonimo ha detto...

Mario, I don't mean to be anonymous, I just don't quite understand what option to choose. I'll try this again.

Sherry