domenica 7 febbraio 2010

Ooops, I did it again...


I can't help myself...I did it again: I like to make "travel" surprises, especially to my parents, who like traveling, but are reluctant when it comes to move without a proper guide. Their biggest fear, especially my mom's, is the problem in communication abroad. And even if she has studied both German and English for quite a long time, she doesn't feel ready to communicate without a proper support. Probably she has the skills, but goes in panic when it comes the moment to speak in another language. As far as I am concerned, for traveling it's not necessary to speak the language of the country you are visiting. Obviously it helps a lot if you do. But I personally have survived in countries where I didn't speak any of the native language. For sure my knowledge of English helps because, more or less, everybody speaks some English.

But, returning to my "travel" surprise 2010, I made it. It all started the other day, when Lufthansa sent me a newsletter with an incredible offer. Fly from Milan to other european destinations for only 110 € per couple (tax included). On sale only for a limited period. Suddenly I called my brother and asked if he agreed to plan together a "travel" surprise for our parents in occasion of their 34th wedding anniversary. After some date planning on the calendar and internet surfing, we decided to make it all 6 (Ely and I, my brother and his girlfriend Patty, our parents) to Paris next May. WHOO HOO! So, the same group that last year "invaded" London, will have an adventure in France this year. That is quite unexpected, because I hadn't in mind anything before the Lufthansa newsletter found me, but I think it's a good occasion to spend time together. Even if we live close and see each other almost everyday, sharing a travel experience is something different and unique. I am happy we are going all together again.
Now, we basically have 2 other things to settle:
1 - Find an apartment for 6 in Paris (does anyone have suggestions?);
2 - Decide when telling the parents about this travel (their anniversary will be on May,1st and we are leaving a few days later, but I think it's better to say it before, because they will have time to prepare! What about around Easter? Or do you think it's better a shocking revelation a few days before departing?).

If you haven't understood yet, well..... I love planning trips, not only for myself but even for other people. I love to give travel tips and find the best travel options and offers on the web. Is it a mania? Probably, it more like a passion. So, do you have a trip in mind? Here I am, count on me! :) I'll be your planner!

Some time ago I also had the idea to open a website for this travel planning thing. Then I gave up. There are plenty around the web. But just recently Ely and I have bought a domain where we intend, in the next future, to design and publish all our travel diaries with photos and itineraries, maybe open a blog and give the opportunity to our visitors to get useful information about the places we have visited. The domain name is: http://www.travelnotesmarioely.eu (now empty). But we are open to suggestions, tips and whatever you like to suggest for design, logo, contents, etc... All the ideas will be more than welcome!

3 commenti:

Kimberly ha detto...

J'adore Paris!

I've never met anyone that loves to travel as much as I do- but you and Ely definitely do! This is such an amazing surprise! I wish I were your parents ;) And Paris is so amazing, I can never get enough!

I'd highly recommend staying in a furnished apartment for your stay. When we were in Paris in August we stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom on Rue de Gramont that I was madly in love with. I wish I could live in it! There are lots of Parisian apartment rental sites, so plenty of options for location and budget.

Sounds like it will be such a fun trip! Make sure to post your parents reaction!

Jenny ha detto...

is that Kim Myron? I wouldn't put it past her to comment on Paris ;)

you and ely are the best travel planners i have ever met...your site will be amazing and it should definitely include scans of your adorable and well organized notebook for your US trip!

so excited for you guys and your parents..what nice children you are!

La Dolce Vita ha detto...

Kim -- Which apartment rental site did you use to find your holiday accommodation in Paris? I could have a look at it...

Jenny -- Thank you to appreciate our travel notebooks...we do it to plan the trip, but also as a memory of it when coming back...but I can tell...it's a lot of work!!! :))